Thursday, March 5, 2009

10k track workout

We tried something a bit different at the track today: 10k split into 5 hard laps, 4 steady, 4 hard, 3 steady, 3 hard, 2 steady, 2 hard, 1 steady, 1 hard, with the hard laps run faster than 10k race pace and the steady laps not so easy as to fully recover for the next set of hard laps.

The overall time for the session was set to 2-3 minutes slower than current 10k race form, ensuring it wasn't an all out session, but rather a threshold session with a bit of variation.

I aimed for a 40 min total (88 sec lap hard and 108 sec lap steady). Below are my splits.


Turns out I went out a bit too slow on the hard pushes. I first realized this towards the end so ramped up the pace for the final laps. During the run I was using pacing information from my Garmin, the better option would have been to write down the required splits and run by the clock.

No comments: